This Privacy Statement relates solely to the online information collection and use practices of our Web site located at www.icpublications.com (the “Site”) and its group websites (newafricanmagazine.com; africanbusinessmagazine.com; ic-events.net). We recognize that many visitors and users of this Web Site are concerned about the information they provide to us, and how we treat that information. This Privacy Statement, which may be updated from time to time, has been developed to address those concerns.
Your use of this Web Site indicates to us that you have read and accept our privacy practices, as outlined in this Privacy Statement.
What Information About You Do We Collect?
When you visit the Site, you may provide us with two types of information:
(1) personally identifiable information that you knowingly choose to disclose, which is collected on an individual basis, and
(2) general user information that does not contain personally identifiable information, which is collected on an aggregate basis as you browse the Site.
In some cases, if you choose not to provide us with requested information, you may not be able to access all of the Site’s content or services.
Personally Identifiable Information You Choose to Provide.
We may ask for certain personal information from you for the purpose of providing to you content and/or services that you request. For example, if you indicate an interest in receiving press releases about IC Publications Ltd, you are asked to submit your name and E-mail address, which we retain on file, so that we may send you the information that you requested. We also request your name and e-mail address each time you contact us by clicking on the “Contact Us” link. We may retain a record of users who have contacted us in order to respond properly to questions or concerns and for purposes of future communications.
- Contact form (This Application)
By filling in the contact form with their Data, the User authorizes this Application to use these details to reply to requests for information, quotes or any other kind of request as indicated by the form’s header.
Personal Data collected: company name, country, email address, first name and last name.
- Mailing List or Newsletter (This Application)
By registering on the mailing list or for the newsletter, the User’s email address will be added to the contact list of those who may receive email messages containing information of commercial or promotional nature concerning this Application. Your email address might also be added to this list as a result of signing up to this Application or after making a purchase.
Personal Data collected: email address, first name and last name; position; company; telephone number.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information We Collect.
- Cookies / Web server logs: Similar to other commercial Web sites, the Site utilises standard technology called “cookies” and Web server logs to collect information about how the Site is used. Cookies are a feature of Web browser software that allows Web servers to recognize the computer used to access a Web site. Cookies are small pieces of data that are stored by a user’s Web browser on the user’s hard drive. Information gathered through cookies and Web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our Web Site, and the Web sites visited just before and just after our Web Site. This information is collected on an aggregate basis. None of this information is associated with you as an individual.
- You can, of course, disable cookies on your computer by indicating this in the preferences or options menus in your browser. However, it is possible that some parts of our Web Site will not operate correctly if you disable cookies. You should consult with your browser’s provider/manufacturer if you have any questions regarding disabling cookies.
- Google Analytics (Google Inc.)
Google Analytics is a web analysis service provided by Google Inc. (“Google”). Google utilizes the Data collected to track and examine the use of this Application, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services.
Google may use the Data collected to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
Personal Data collected: Cookies and Usage data
- Google Tag Manager (Google Inc.)
Google Tag Manager is an analytics service provided by Google Inc.
Personal Data collected: Cookies and Usage data.
How Do We Use the Information We Collect?
- We use your personally identifiable information to provide you with the information or content that you have requested, and, in some cases, to contact you about our programs, products, features or services. If you no longer wish to receive press releases or any other type of information from us, you may send us an email through our “Contact Us” link or follow the “unsubscribe” link provided in the e-mail that you receive.
- We use non-identifying information collected on the Site in the aggregate to better understand your use of the Site and to enhance your enjoyment and experience. For example, we may use the information to improve the design and content of the Site or to analyse the programs and services that we offer.
- We may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Our employees, agents and contractors who have access to personally identifiable information are required to protect the information in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Statement.
- We may provide access to your personally identifiable information when legally required to do so, to cooperate with police investigations or other legal proceedings, to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Site, to limit our legal liability and protect our rights, or to protect the rights and safety of visitors to the Site or the public. In those instances, the information is provided only for that limited purpose.
- We will not share your personally identifiable information in ways unrelated to those described above without providing you with an opportunity to opt out of such use or otherwise prohibit such unrelated uses.
How Do You Access And/Or Modify Your Information or Choices?
If you visit the Site and volunteer personally identifiable information, you may modify, update or delete such information by visiting the E-mail Alert area where you will have the opportunity to access and revise certain of your personally identifiable information, and to update your preferences regarding what information you want to receive from us, or by clicking on the “Contact Us” link and sending us an e-mail. In addition, please be aware that your ability to opt out from receiving marketing and promotional materials does not change our right to contact you regarding your use of our Web Site.
We take reasonable steps to maintain the security of the personally identifiable information that we collect, including limiting the number of people who have physical access to our database servers, as well as installing electronic security systems that guard against unauthorized access. However, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us, so you do so at your own risk.
The Site contains links to third party sites as well as to other sites owned and/or operated by IC Publications Ltd. Please be aware that IC Publications Ltd is not responsible for the privacy practices of any third party sites.
This Privacy Statement was last revised in May of 2018.
Cookies on the African Business Magazine Website
We implement cookies to facilitate the use of our website. Cookies are small data files, which allow us to learn more about how our users navigate through our site and thus help them in this process, showing them the information they’re interested in. The cookies we use do not store any personal data about our users in keeping with the Organic Law on Personal Data protection. Nor do they store any other type of data, which might be used to identify users personally. If you don’t want these cookies to be used, you can reconfigure your Internet browser to erase them from your computer’s disk drive, block them or warn you before they’re installed. To continue without changing your current preferences, simply continue on to our website.
The types of cookies we use:
These cookies let us know if you’ve visited our website previously and, for example, your browser’s predefined language. Losing the data stored in a preference cookie may make your experience on our website less functional, though the site should work as normal.
Process cookies serve to help the website operate and provide the services users who access the website expect, for example, being able to navigate between sections and pages and accessing secure areas on the site. Without these cookies, the website cannot function properly.
These cookies store the necessary data during your session and any related changes. They also inform us if you’re a registered website user or not.
Google Analytics is a tool which primarily lets website owners know how users interact with their websites. They also enable cookies on the site domain you’re visiting and use a collective set of data to gather information anonymously and prepare reports regarding trends on those websites, all without identifying individual users.
African Business uses the remarketing function with Google Analytics to publish online ads and banners. African Business and other providers, including Google, use their own cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimise and publish ads based on users’ previous visits to the website.