SRI Executive Search has been contracted by the LEC to assist with the search for an exceptional candidate to fill the position of Chief Operating Officer. The Liberia Electricity Corporation is a public utility entity created in 1973 by the Government of the Republic of Liberia through an act of legislature with a mandate to produce and supply economical and reliable electric power to the entire nation, while at the same time maintaining the corporation’s financial viability. Intrinsic in this mandate is the responsibility for improving and expanding the system to meet future growth. LEC, therefore, has the responsibility of ensuring that efficient, reliable, and affordable electric power is available not only to meet the increasing demand for electric energy in Liberia but also to serve as a catalyst for socio-economic development.
About the position
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is part of the LEC Executive team, reporting to the CEO. The COO is responsible for developing key strategies for each business unit. The COO will develop the key strategies in conjunction with the Executive Directors of each business unit. The COO is further responsible for implementing daily operations and aligning those to the Corporation goals and strategies.
The ideal candidate will hold an engineering degree or similar technical qualification from an accredited university and/or specialised institution. An advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- Fifteen (15) + years relevant experience with at least five (5) years’ experiences in a senior leadership position with experience in general management of electric utilities, project management and budgetary oversight.
- Fifteen (15) + years relevant utility/energy sector experience with a strong focus on generation, transmission and distribution operations, project management, budget and cost management disciplines, safety, quality, compliance, and regulation.
- Five (5) + years’ experience of electrical utility management at a senior level in Sub-Saharan Africa or other emerging / post-war country (non-OECD member countries).
- Proven track record in the leading and management of Operational and Support Function teams.
- Solid track record of successful delivery of projects.
- Previous experience liaising with government departments and donor agencies; and
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, specifically with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database applications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the CEO and Executive Directors to identify key strategic objectives, long-range strategic plans, governance structure and objectives for the Corporation and for each business unit within the Corporation.
- Work with the CEO and Executive Directors in the development, implementation, and delivery of identified strategies and objectives.
- Work with the CEO and Executive Directors in the development of key performance indicators and milestones to measure the progress and delivery of identified strategies and objectives.
- Participation in the establishment and implementation of Corporation policies and procedures. Interpret policies, objectives, and operational procedures.
- Analyse and recommend changes and improvements in Corporation organisational systems, policies, and procedures and ensures their implementation.
- Participation in the development and implementation of the missions, vision, and values of the Corporation, including the deliverance of high-quality services. Ensures that these are communicated and understood at all levels within the Corporation.
- Participate in the evolution and refinement of the quality improvement process within the organisation.
- Delegate authority and responsibility as appropriate.
- Create and maintain a team culture that values, recognises, and generates high performance, supports innovation, and challenge the status quo.
- Lead the Corporation’s internal operations teams, whilst also providing support and guidance to the Corporation’s support functions.
- Undertake Special Projects as directed and defined by the CEO.
- Fill in for other ED positions as required.
- Any other activities as directed by the CEO.
- Support the CEO as required.
- Fill other ED roles during leave periods.
- Awareness and sensitivity to multinational exposures and cultures; including the ability to lead and manage such teams.
- Proven interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent leadership skills – ability to lead and build the Operations and Support Functions teams into dedicated and enthusiastic units.
- External focus and inclusiveness.
- Effective analytical, organisational, confidentiality, multitasking and interpersonal skills.
- Strong communications skills, excellent customer service, conflict resolution, and writing skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Speak fluent English; and
- The ability to speak French will be an advantage.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Shenaaz Bhima at [email protected] on or before 29th October 2021. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.